Let’s Get Lit! Join us for our first ever writing contest. Often times, writing is overlooked as a fine art. We are here to shine a light on the art of writing! Let’s Get Lit is hosted by the Victoria Fine Arts Association. Due to health concerns surrounding the novel (new) Coronavirus (COVID-19), VFAA is NOT cancelling Let’s Get Lit, but rather restructuring the event to a 100% online platform. It is more important than ever to continue to provide funds to students whenever possible.
WE HAVE EXTENDED THE DEADLINE!
Be sure to review the following rules and regulations before entering your work.
- Entrants must be enrolled at the Victoria College or University of Houston-Victoria at the time the work is submitted.
- You may only enter one piece consisting of either a short story not more than 2,000 words or a poem of not more than 100 lines. Entrants will be given five minutes to present their work.
- Your entry must be original, in English, unpublished and unproduced, and not accepted for publication or production at the time of submission. Any piece which is posted online, anywhere other than a personal blog controlled and edited exclusively by the author, will be considered published. Anything posted online by a third party is considered to be published.
- You must submit your entry below. Entries must be submitted in PDF format and formatted using margins that appear inside the printable area of 8.5” x 11” paper. Poems may be either double-or single-spaced and short stories must be double-spaced. All submissions must be in either Times New Roman, Arial, or Calibri font.
- Judging will be blind so please include the title of the work together with your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and word/line count on the cover page of your submission. Each subsequent page must contain the title of the piece together with the page number but may not contain your name, mailing address, phone number, email address or any other identifying information. Any identifying information contained on any page other than the cover page of the submission will result in the author’s disqualification.
- The Victoria Fine Arts Association, Inc. (VFAA) reserves the right to exclude from consideration any work which disparages any person(s) on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, age, disability, or national origin or promotes any criminal conduct.
- Each submission will remain the sole property of the author; however by submitting a piece for consideration, each author agrees to the publication of their submission online for judging by VFAA and agrees to be bound by these rules stated above and acknowledges that the failure to comply with any of these rules will result in disqualification from consideration.
- The selected finalists will have the opportunity to read, their work to attendees for final judgment of winners and presentation of awards at Liberty Coffee Haus on March 26, 2020. First place will receive $500, second place $300 and third place $200.